I love reading quotes about introverts. Being an introvert, I see myself in so many of these quotes. I love how one tiny phrase can describe us so accurately and give us insights into our introverted nature. The quotes talk about the pressure to be something we’re not, about accepting our true nature and even the quiet power us introverts possess.
That’s why I decided to post my collection of introvert quotes. And of course, being me, I just had to organize them! Enjoy!
Pressured to be Extroverted
In almost every aspect of our lives, there is pressure to conform to our cultural norm. In today’s world, that means being social and talking all the time. So, what happens when don’t talk non-stop? Well, the first quote by Emma Watson sums it up perfectly!
1. “If you’re anything other than an extrovert you’re made to think there’s something wrong with you.” – Emma Watson
2. “The introvert is pressured daily, almost from the moment of awakening, to respond and conform to the outer world.” – Marti Olsen Laney
3. “Introverts are NOT Failed extroverts.” – Sophia Dembling
4. “In an extroverted society, the difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that an introvert is often unconsciously deemed guilty until proven innocent.” – Criss Jami
5. “The word introvert has negative connotations that need to be destroyed. Introverts are simply misunderstood because the majority of the population consists of extroverts.” – Unknown
6. “It’s hard to be an introvert in a social world designed by and for extroverts.” – Unknown
Quotes On Being Quiet
As an introvert, we’re often asked, “Why are you so quiet?”. We’re made to feel that being quiet is a bad thing. It’s not. There is power in being quiet and these quotes demonstrate that power beautifully.
1. “Don’t underestimate me because I’m quiet. I know more than I say, think more than I speak and observe more than you know.” – Michaela Chung
2. “There’s zero correlation between being the best talker and having the best ideas.” – Susan Cain
3. “Silence is a source of great strength.” – Lao Tzu
4. “Sometimes quiet people really do have a lot to say … they’re just being careful about who they open up to.” – Susan Gale
5. “Just because you don’t say much doesn’t mean people don’t notice you. It’s actually the quiet ones who often draw the most attention. There’s this constant whirlwind of motion and sound all around, and then there’s the quiet one, the eye of the storm.” – Amy Efaw
6. “A quiet life stimulates the creative mind.” – Albert Einstein
7. “One of the risks of being quiet is that the other people can fill your silence with their own interpretation: You’re bored. You’re depressed. You’re shy. You’re stuck up. You’re judgmental. When others can’t read us, they write their own story – not always one we choose or that’s true to who we are.” – Sophia Dembling
8. “Just because I’m quiet doesn’t mean I have nothing to say.” – Sophia Dembling
Be True to Your Introverted Nature
It takes a lot of self-reflection to recognize our introverted nature. It takes even more effort to embrace it and remain true to that temperament. Here are some quotes to remind you to be you.
1. “Stay true to your own nature. If you like to do things in a slow and steady way, don’t let others make you feel as if you have to race. If you enjoy depth, don’t force yourself to seek breadth.” – Susan Cain
2. “Don’t think of introversion as something that needs to be cured…Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you’re supposed to.” – Susan Cain
3. “Extroverts sparkle, introverts glow. If you appreciate your own quiet glow, other people will see it too.” – Sophia Dembling
4. “Every time we stomp down our introverted nature, we crush part of our soul in the process.” – Michaela Chung
5. “The day I began to live is the day I discovered being an introvert was awesome.” – Maxime Lagace
6. “Turns out, embracing their quiet nature does not cause introverts to flee to a shack in the woods. It empowers them to engage with the world – but on their own terms.” – Susan Cain
7. “One of the criticisms I’ve faced over the years is that I’m not aggressive enough or assertive enough, or maybe somehow, because I’m empathetic, I’m weak. I totally rebel against that. I refuse to believe that you cannot be both compassionate and strong.” – Jacinda Ardern
8. “Writing is something you do alone. It’s a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don’t want to make eye contact while doing it.” – John Green
9. “People empty me. I have to get away to refill.” – Charles Bukowski
Introvert Quotes On Small Talk and Meaningful Relationships
Relationships look differently to introverts and extroverts. While extroverts have a large network, introverts have fewer connections that are closer and more meaningful. These quotes demonstrate the differences between introverts and extroverts when it comes to relationships. They remind us that everyone is different and that it’s okay to be different.
1. “Introverts crave meaning so party chitchat feels like sandpaper to our psyche.” – Diane Cameron
2. “As an introvert, you crave intimate moments and deep connections – and those usually aren’t found in a crowd.” – Jenn Granneman
3. “Introverts don’t see life as one big cocktail party. We’re content with just a few meaningful relationships.” – Jenn Granneman
4. “Introverts treasure the close relationships they have stretched so much to make.” – Adam S. McHugh
5. “Introverts aren’t anti-social, they’re differently social.” – Marti Olsen Laney
6. “Please kindly go away, I’m introverting.” – Beth Buelow
7. “Just because you want to join the party does not mean you are required to stay until the last drunk passes out.” – Sophia Dembling
8. “Introverts avoid small talk because we know it is the white bread of conversation. There are no real nutrients in it, just empty calories.” – Michaela Chung
9. “You might be an introvert if you were ready to go home before you left the house.” – Criss Jami
10. “Sorry I’m late. I didn’t want to come.” – Jessica Pan
On Alone Time and Loneliness
Alone time is wonderful when you are an introvert. I think the following quotes about introverts can be summed up in two phrases: One – Just because we are alone, does not mean we are lonely. Two – Just because we like quiet time and solitude, does not mean we are bored or are doing nothing.
1. “I am rarely bored alone; I am often bored in groups and crowds.” – Laurie Helgoe
2. “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren’t a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.” – Cheryl Strayed
3. “I am lonely, yet not everybody will do. I don’t know why, some people fill the gaps but other people emphasize my loneliness.” – Anais Nin
4. “As an introvert, you can be your own best friend or your worst enemy. The good news is we generally like our own company, a quality that extroverts often envy. We find comfort in solitude and know how to soothe ourselves.” – Laurie Helgoe
5. “Introverts are collectors of thoughts, and solitude is where the collection is curated and rearranged to make sense of the present and future.” – Laurie Helgoe
6. “Within you there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
7. “The word introvert is not a synonym for hermit.” – Susan Cain
8. “I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.” – Henry David Thoreau
How Introverts Think, Talk and Act
Introverts are quiet because they are so busy thinking. We think all the time, about everything, and analyse everything (sometimes a little too much). Here are some introvert quotes that describe the processes going on inside the mind of an introvert.
1. “Quiet people have the loudest minds.” – Stephen Hawking
2. “I’m indecisive because I see eight sides to everything.” – April Kepne
3. “Introverts are capable of acting like extroverts for the sake of work they consider important, people they love, or anything they value highly.” – Susan Cain
4. “I prefer tongue-tied knowledge to ignorant loquacity.” – Margaret Donnano
5. “If you ask an introvert a question, wait until she thinks about it. Introverts think before speaking, not through speaking. If you want to get to the good stuff, you need to slow down.” – Laurie Helgoe
6. “Introverts think before they act, digest information thoroughly, stay on task longer, give up less easily, and work more accurately” – Susan Cain
7. “Many introverts don’t feel as if they know enough about a subject until they know almost everything.” – Marti Olsen Laney
8. “When overstimulated, the introvert’s mind can shut down, saying, No more input, please. It goes dark.” – Marti Olsen Laney
9. “Another explained, I think I’d speak for any introvert when I say if you could hear all the thoughts running through an introvert’s mind at any given moment – you’d feel like you’d just had your ear talked off for the last hour.” – Sophia Dembling
What’s your favourite introvert quote?
Until my next blog post, here’s wishing you lots of joy and happiness!